Congratulations!

[Valid Atom 1.0] This is a valid Atom 1.0 feed.

Recommendations

This feed is valid, but interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendations.

Source: http://news.perlfoundation.org/atom.xml

  1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  2. <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  3.    <title>The Perl Foundation</title>
  4.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/" />
  5.    <link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/atom.xml" />
  6.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2010-03-22://18</id>
  7.    <updated>2015-04-19T10:19:11Z</updated>
  8.    
  9.    <generator uri="http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/">Movable Type Pro 4.38</generator>
  10.  
  11. <entry>
  12.    <title>Perl 6 Hague Grant Application</title>
  13.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/perl-6-hague-grant-application.html" />
  14.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3606</id>
  15.  
  16.    <published>2015-04-19T10:00:10Z</published>
  17.    <updated>2015-04-19T10:19:11Z</updated>
  18.  
  19.    <summary>We have received the following Hague Grant application from Bart Wiegmans. Before we vote on this proposal we would like to have a period of community consultation for 10 days. Please leave feedback in the comments or if you prefer send email with your comments to karen at perlfoundation.org. Name: Bart Wiegmans Project Title: Advancing the MoarVM JIT Synopsis: Implement an advanced code generation algorithm for the MoarVM JIT compiler, leading to more efficient machine code for JIT compiled frames....</summary>
  20.    <author>
  21.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  22.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  23.    </author>
  24.    
  25.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  26.    
  27.    <category term="perl6haguegrant" label="perl6 hague grant" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  28.    
  29.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  30.        <![CDATA[<p>We have received the following Hague Grant application from Bart Wiegmans.  Before we vote on this proposal we would like to have a period of community consultation for 10 days. Please leave feedback in the comments or if you prefer send email with your comments to karen at perlfoundation.org.</p>
  31.  
  32. <p><b>Name</b>: Bart Wiegmans</p>
  33.  
  34. <p><b>Project Title</b>:  Advancing the MoarVM <span class="caps">JIT</span></p>
  35.  
  36. <p><b>Synopsis:</b></p>
  37.  
  38. <p>Implement an advanced code generation algorithm for the MoarVM <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler, leading to more efficient machine code for <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiled frames.</p>
  39.  
  40. <p><b>Benefits to Perl 6 Development:</b></p>
  41.  
  42. <p>This project will enable the MoarVM <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler to generate smaller and more efficient code, producing greater performance and less memory traffic during execution. This will help to make Perl 6 more competitive with other languages. (Speed is generally regarded as a feature).</p>
  43.  
  44. <p>As a secondary benefit this will decouple the <span class="caps">JIT </span>intermediate representation from the MoarVM bytecode and the x64 machine code making it easier for developers to extend or to port the <span class="caps">JIT </span>to architectures other than x64, such as <span class="caps">ARM.</span></p>
  45.  
  46. <p>As an example of the potential speedup I've created the following example demonstrating a 5x speedup on tight numeric code. Although that example is highly artificial it does demonstrate the limits of the current <span class="caps">JIT </span>rather well.  Note also that the original hot loop uses 22 instructions whereas the new hot loop uses only 7 instructions.</p>]]>
  47.        <![CDATA[<p><b>Deliverables:</b></p>
  48.  
  49. <p>These deliverables are not ordered chronologically.</p>
  50.  
  51.  
  52.  
  53. <ol>
  54. <li>An implementation of the code generation algorithm described below, including instructio  selection tables for the x64 architecture </li>
  55. <li>A runtime representation of machine operations ('expressions') that will form the input to the code generator and is suitable for targeting to different architectures</li>
  56. <li>A patched version of DynASM capable of addressing the extended registers of x64</li>
  57. <li>Conversion of large parts of the current <span class="caps">JIT </span>to the new algorithm</li>
  58. <li>An extension <span class="caps">API </span>for <span class="caps">REPR </span>ops to insert (inline) expressions into the <span class="caps">JIT </span>in place of some operations</li>
  59. <li>A set of automated tests known to trigger <span class="caps">JIT </span>compilation to either the <span class="caps">NQP </span>or Rakudo Perl 6 test suite.</li>
  60. <li>Reports and documentation explaining the <span class="caps">JIT </span>and it's <span class="caps">API </span></li>
  61. </ol>
  62.  
  63.  
  64.  
  65.  
  66. <p><b>Project Details:</b></p>
  67.  
  68. <p>Since September 2014 MoarVM implements a <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler for optimised frames. This <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler has proven to be reliable after it became the default option in October 2014, but it does not generate very efficient machine code. This is because it is very simple (simplistic perhaps) and generates code by pasting together preformed blocks of machine code.</p>
  69.  
  70. <p>Because these machine code fragments are necessarily independent, they must store and load values from memory every time they execute, even if these values are never read afterwards or if they are only temporarily useful. This results in large code size and heavy memory traffic. Moreover, because each part is independent, even very simple optimizations across fragment boundaries are impossible or very hard. Thus, the potential performance increase gained by <span class="caps">JIT </span>compilation is limited by the current design.</p>
  71.  
  72. <p>In this project I propose to implement a more advanced code generation algorithm based on the paper by Aho et al, which I will not describe in detail here. What is relevant for this proposal is that I intend to embed it into the existing <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler as an additional node type. This means that the current <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler can be converted to use this new algorithm in small pieces. This also means that the new algorithm must be written to use the DynASM bytecode generation library. This in turn means that DynASM must be extended to support register addressing on x64 (it currently only does so on x86).</p>
  73.  
  74. <p>Although this is a large project it, it can be divided into 'inchstones' relatively cleanly, each of which can be divided further:</p>
  75.  
  76.  
  77.  
  78. <ul>
  79. <li>Implement a 'proof of concept' code generator using DynASM with limited register addressing. This is intended to find any limits to DynASM (or my understanding) beyond the register addressing limitation already discussed.</li>
  80. <li>Eliminate the register addressing limitation. In practice this comes down to conditionally adding register extension prefix bytes before the actual instructions. Last year I discussed briefly how this should be done with Mike Pall, the author of DynASM and luajit.</li>
  81. <li>Implement a machine-level expression graph data type, suitable for expressing MoarVM- evel concepts close to machine-level operations. </li>
  82. <li>Actually implement the algorithm, including components like register selection, instruction selection, and value spills.</li>
  83. <li>Convert current <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler fragments to the new expression trees. Areas of specific interest include branching, C calls, VM routine calls, GC barriers, deoptimization and exception handlers. Each of these is a goal onto itself. The current <span class="caps">JIT </span>fragments can function as templates for the expression graph.</li>
  84. <li>Implement an extension <span class="caps">API </span>for <span class="caps">REPR'</span>s (object representations) to inline operations into <span class="caps">JIT </span>expressions.</li>
  85. </ul>
  86.  
  87.  
  88.  
  89.  
  90. <p>Automated tests will be developed during development of features and collected over time. Given enough time and less-than-expected difficulties in implementation, I have many more ambitions, but I think this should provide enough work for now.</p>
  91.  
  92. <p><b>Project Schedule:</b></p>
  93.  
  94. <p>I estimate that this project will take 10 weeks of full-time work, excluding time spent studying in preparation. Around two to three weeks will be spent on creating a proof of concept code generator and extending DynASM for x64 register addressing. If this is successful I think around 2 weeks will be spent on implementing this for MoarVM, of which one week will be spent on the algorithm and another week on instruction and register tables. After this I'll be able to demonstrate a simple <span class="caps">JIT</span>-compiled frame using the new algorithm.</p>
  95.  
  96. <p>The next three weeks will be spent converting more complex parts until a large part of the current <span class="caps">JIT </span>has been converted. Finally in the last two weeks I will implement the extension <span class="caps">API </span>as well as implement one or more of such extensions, for example inlined array access.</p>
  97.  
  98. <p>I can begin working in the week starting Sunday June 14 2015, meaning I intend to finish Saturday August 22. The halfway milestone should then be reached Saturday July 18.</p>
  99.  
  100. <p><b>Report Schedule:</b></p>
  101.  
  102. <p>I will report on my work using my blog as I have done last year during GSoC. Blog entries will appear at least every two weeks and preferably more often. This blog is syndicated on the <a href="http://pl6anet.org/">pl6anet.org</a> news aggegration site. Furthermore, I will report often to the #perl6 and #moarvm channel of freenode to discuss my progress. I'm also willing to provide mailing-list announcements (e.g. on perl6-announce) in case of milestones.</p>
  103.  
  104. <p><b>Public Repository:</b></p>
  105.  
  106. <p>The final code will be hosted in the MoarVM public git repository at github.com/MoarVM/MoarVM as well as in MoarVM's fork of DynASM. Changes to DynASM will also be offered to the luajit project from which DynASM has been extracted. Initially work will be done in a separate branch so as to not disturb 'regular' users. Any proof-of-concept code will be hosted at my personal github account.</p>
  107.  
  108. <p><b>Grant Deliverables ownership/copyright and License Information:</b></p>
  109.  
  110. <p>MoarVM is licensed under the Artistic 2.0 license. DynASM is licensed under <span class="caps">MIT.</span> Copyright on MoarVM belongs to Jonathan Worthington and others (according to the current <span class="caps">LICENSE </span>file). Copyright to DynASM belongs to Mike Pall. I have naturally no authority to change the copyright on these projects. The Perl Foundation may of course have copyright on the patches applied for this project (although I don't know if that works out legally).</p>
  111.  
  112. <p><b>Bio:</b></p>
  113.  
  114. <p>I was the author of the current MoarVM <span class="caps">JIT </span>compiler during the 2014 edition of GSoC. Thus, I know it very well. I consider myself to have been a member of the Perl 6 community since 2012, when I wrote the mod_parrot module for apache httpd during the 2012 edition of GSoC. I wrote my first interpreter around 10 years ago. </p>
  115.  
  116. <p>In real life I've been studying physics, biology, and currently environmental science. I have, in general, lots of time available in the summer. Lastly, I obsess about speed and MoarVM / Rakudo Perl 6 not being as fast as they can bothers me.</p>
  117.  
  118. <p><b>Amount Requested:</b></p>
  119.  
  120. <p>I request $10.000 for 2,5 months of work. I'd suggest payment of $5000 after the first halfway milestone and $5000 after the project is finished. </p>
  121.  
  122. <p><b>Suggestions for Grant Manager:</b></p>
  123.  
  124. <p>Jonathan Worthington (jnthn), who also mentored me during the 2014 edition of Google Summer of Code. He is the lead developer on MoarVM and a large contributor to the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler, on which he has given many talks at Perl conferences and elsewhere.</p>]]>
  125.    </content>
  126. </entry>
  127.  
  128. <entry>
  129.    <title>Grants Update - April 2015</title>
  130.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/grants-update---april-2015.html" />
  131.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3604</id>
  132.  
  133.    <published>2015-04-17T21:00:00Z</published>
  134.    <updated>2015-04-18T01:15:04Z</updated>
  135.  
  136.    <summary>For the March round, we got no applications. The next round will be in May. Grant updates: Start ACT - Voyager by Theo van Hoesel: Enjoy his report and give feedback - April 1 - Act Perl::Lint - Yet Another Static Analyzer for Perl5 by Taiki Kawakami: We got an update and the report will be posted next week. Modern Object Oriented Programming in Perl by Toby Inkster: No update from the grantee. The grant manager has been trying to...</summary>
  137.    <author>
  138.        <name>Makoto Nozaki</name>
  139.        <uri>http://blogs.perl.org/users/makoto_nozaki/</uri>
  140.    </author>
  141.    
  142.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  143.    
  144.    
  145.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  146.        <![CDATA[<p>For the March round, we got no applications. The next round will be in May.</p>
  147.  
  148. <p>Grant updates:</p>
  149.  
  150. <ul>
  151. <li><a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2014/07/grant-proposal-start-act---voy.html">Start ACT - Voyager by Theo van Hoesel</a>: Enjoy his report and give feedback - <a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/april-1---act.html">April 1 - Act</a></li>
  152. <li><a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2014/03/grant-proposal-perllint---yet.html">Perl::Lint - Yet Another Static Analyzer for Perl5 by Taiki Kawakami</a>: We got an update and the report will be posted next week.</li>
  153. <li><a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2014/05/grant-proposal-modern-object-o.html">Modern Object Oriented Programming in Perl by Toby Inkster</a>: No update from the grantee. The grant manager has been trying to get in touch with Toby.</li>
  154. </ul>
  155. ]]>
  156.        
  157.  
  158.    </content>
  159. </entry>
  160.  
  161. <entry>
  162.    <title>Grant Proposal: Perl 6 Release Goals</title>
  163.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/grant-proposal-perl-6-release.html" />
  164.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3602</id>
  165.  
  166.    <published>2015-04-07T16:06:28Z</published>
  167.    <updated>2015-04-07T16:52:20Z</updated>
  168.  
  169.    <summary>Jonathan Worthington has submitted a grant proposal under our new Perl 6 Core Development Fund. Before we vote on this proposal we would like to get feedback and endorsements from the Perl community. Please leave feedback in the comments or send email with your comments to karen at perlfoundation.org. Name: Jonathan Worthington (jnthn) Project Title: Work towards the 2015 Perl 6 release goals Synopsis: Fund a leading Rakudo Perl 6 and MoarVM contributor to work on key implementation tasks and...</summary>
  170.    <author>
  171.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  172.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  173.    </author>
  174.    
  175.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  176.    
  177.    
  178.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  179.        <![CDATA[<p>Jonathan Worthington has submitted a grant proposal under our new <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_6_core_development_fund">Perl 6 Core Development Fund.</a></p>
  180.  
  181. <p>Before we vote on this proposal we would like to get feedback and endorsements from the Perl community. Please leave feedback in the comments or send email with your comments to karen at perlfoundation.org.</p>
  182.  
  183. <p><b>Name</b>: Jonathan Worthington (jnthn)</p>
  184.  
  185. <p><b>Project Title:</b> Work towards the 2015 Perl 6 release goals</p>
  186.  
  187. <p><b>Synopsis:</b></p>
  188.  
  189. <p>Fund a leading Rakudo Perl 6 and MoarVM contributor to work on key implementation tasks and keep other contributors unblocked, in the period leading up to the release of the Perl 6.0 language specification along with a conforming implementation. Funding is being requested for an initial 3 month period, with a view to extending the grant provided the work done under it is successful and funds are available.</p>]]>
  190.        <![CDATA[<p><b>Benefits to Perl 6 Development:</b></p>
  191.  
  192. <p>Perl 6 development will benefit in numerous ways if I am able to spend more time on Perl 6 for the remainder of 2015. There are a number of key implementation tasks that remain to be done in order to achieve the release goals set by the Perl 6 development team for 2015. As an experienced contributor to the Perl 6 effort, I'm in a good place to rapidly deliver the work needed to complete them. Further, there are a good number of stability improvements, bug fixes, and other smaller improvements to be made. Again, having deep knowledge of the whole implementation stack, I am in a strong place to work on them. Furthermore, by taking on blockers in the way of other contributors - by answering questions or jumping in to debug issues - I can help keep others moving.</p>
  193.  
  194. <p><b>Deliverable Elements:</b></p>
  195.  
  196. <p>Much of the work in the first 3 months of this grant will center around three key areas identified by the Perl 6 development team: <span class="caps">NFG </span>strings, native/shaped arrays, and list/array performance and semantic improvements. I will deliver:</p>
  197.  
  198.  
  199.  
  200. <ul>
  201. <li>A Normal Form Grapheme strings implementation in MoarVM, along with tests in the Perl 6 spectest suite</li>
  202. <li>The remaining work needed on native arrays (including support for small int types and fixing pre-compilation issues), followed by planning, implementation work, and tests for sized/shaped arrays</li>
  203. <li>Contributions as needed towards list and array performance/semantic improvements (the majority of this work is currently the goal of another contributor)</li>
  204. </ul>
  205.  
  206.  
  207.  
  208.  
  209. <p>I will also deliver support to other contributors working on the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler and MoarVM, in order to unblock them where needed and thus enable more progress.</p>
  210.  
  211. <p>The following deliverables also fall under the scope of this grant, but are<br />
  212. a secondary focus for the initial 3 months:</p>
  213.  
  214.  
  215.  
  216. <ul>
  217. <li>Stabilizing and hardening our concurrency, parallel programming, and asynchronous programming support</li>
  218. <li>Reviewing and fixing various outstanding issues surrounding module pre-compilation</li>
  219. <li>Reducing memory footprint</li>
  220. <li>Reducing startup time</li>
  221. <li>Improving I/O performance</li>
  222. <li>Reviewing issues in the bug queue, identifying those that are likely to have notable impact on Perl 6 users, and dealing with them</li>
  223. <li>Working on, and overseeing, enhancements to the MoarVM dynamic optimizer (which performs type specialization, inlining, <span class="caps">JIT </span>compilation, and so forth)</li>
  224. </ul>
  225.  
  226.  
  227.  
  228.  
  229. <p><b>Project Details:</b></p>
  230.  
  231. <p>At <span class="caps">FOSDEM </span>in 2015, Larry Wall announced that the Perl 6 development team intend to deliver a 6.0 language specification along with an implementation meeting it by the end of 2015. The Rakudo Perl 6 compiler running on MoarVM was selected as the implementation to focus on for this goal.</p>
  232.  
  233. <p>While much is already in place, there are three key tasks remaining, along with a good amount of polishing and stability work. This grant is intended to allow me, as a key contributor to Rakudo and MoarVM, to dedicate much more time to this effort, with a focus on the three key tasks, unblocking the work of other contributors where needed, and stability/polish.</p>
  234.  
  235. <p><b>Project Schedule:</b></p>
  236.  
  237. <p>I have arranged with my employer to drop to 50% of full-time hours for the period April through December 2015, freeing me up to take funding to spend the rest of my time on the Perl 6 project. I'm ready to begin work on this grant with immediate effect. As a rough guide, in the first 3 months:</p>
  238.  
  239.  
  240.  
  241. <ul>
  242. <li>I expect to have substantial progress on <span class="caps">NFG </span>strings by late April to mid May</li>
  243. <li>I expect to have substantial progress on sized/shaped arrays by late May to mid June</li>
  244. <li>I expect to have made notable contributions to the list/array work, as needed</li>
  245. <li>I expect to have undertaken some work towards improving parallel and asynchronous feature completeness and stability</li>
  246. </ul>
  247.  
  248.  
  249.  
  250.  
  251. <p>Alongside working on these key goals I will also be working to unblock the work of others and addressing numerous smaller issues.</p>
  252.  
  253. <p><b>Bio.:</b></p>
  254.  
  255. <p>I am the architect and lead developer of MoarVM, one of the lead developers of the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler, and did the initial work porting <span class="caps">NQP </span>and Rakudo to run on the <span class="caps">JVM.</span> Between the MoarVM, <span class="caps">NQP, </span>and Rakudo repositories, I have made over 10,000 commits. I hold a degree in Computer Science from the University of Cambridge, and my academic focus was on compilers, programming language semantics, and concurrency. I also have a strong conference speaking track record. Put together, I have the background to make good design and implementation choices, experience with the projects at hand, and an ability to inform the community at conferences and workshops about what I am doing.</p>
  256.  
  257. <p><b>Endorsed by:</b> Patrick Michaud</p>
  258.  
  259. <p><b>Amount Requested:</b><br />
  260. $10,000 - $40 <span class="caps">USD </span>/ hour, working around 50% of full time</p>
  261.  
  262. <p><b>Suggestions for Grant Manager:</b><br />
  263. Elizabeth Mattijsen or Patrick Michaud</p>]]>
  264.    </content>
  265. </entry>
  266.  
  267. <entry>
  268.    <title>WenZPerl Donate 10,000 EUR to new Perl 6 Core Development Fund</title>
  269.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/wenzperl-donate-10000-eur-to-n.html" />
  270.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3600</id>
  271.  
  272.    <published>2015-04-04T12:29:11Z</published>
  273.    <updated>2015-04-04T14:46:41Z</updated>
  274.  
  275.    <summary>I am pleased to announce the launch of a new fundraising drive to raise money for Perl 6 development. Its immediate focus is the target of releasing a Perl 6 language specification along with a conforming implementation in 2015; beyond this, funds will be used to support maintenance and improvement of Perl 6 implementation. The initial goal is to raise $25,000 to fund the work of Jonathan Worthington. Jonathan is a core developer of the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler and...</summary>
  276.    <author>
  277.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  278.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  279.    </author>
  280.    
  281.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  282.    
  283.        <category term="Perl 6 Development" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  284.    
  285.    <category term="perl6coredevelopmentfund" label="perl 6 core development fund" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  286.    
  287.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  288.        <![CDATA[<p>I am pleased to announce the launch of a new fundraising drive to raise money for Perl 6 development. Its immediate focus is the target of releasing a Perl 6 language specification along with a conforming implementation in 2015; beyond this, funds will be used to support maintenance and improvement of Perl 6 implementation.</p>
  289.  
  290. <p>The initial goal is to raise $25,000 to fund the work of Jonathan Worthington.  Jonathan is a core developer of the Rakudo Perl 6 compiler and the architect and lead developer of MoarVM. </p>
  291.  
  292. <p>The 2015 push for a first Perl 6 language specification (defined by a conformance test suite) and a conforming implementation was announced by Larry Wall at <span class="caps">FOSDEM </span>(February 2015). The Rakudo Perl compiler along with the Moar Virtual Machine have been selected as the focus for implementation effort.</p>
  293.  
  294. <p>We would not have been able to create this fund without the generous donation of 10,000 <span class="caps">EUR </span>pledged by WenZPerl.  </p>
  295.  
  296. <p>WenZPerl BV is the Dutch open source consultancy company of Elizabeth Mattijsen and Wendy van Dijk, specialised in Perl programming and development.  WenZPerl has years of expertise in the development of (toolkits for development) interactive programs and websites. Further experience includes project management, <span class="caps">HRM, </span>and marketing.  WenZPerl is a proud supporter of open source and in particular a regular sponsor of Perl conferences, workshops and hackathons.</p>
  297.  
  298. <p>If you are interested in supporting the <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_6_core_development_fund">Perl 6 Core Development Fund</a> please contact karen (at) perlfoundation.org.</p>]]>
  299.        
  300.    </content>
  301. </entry>
  302.  
  303. <entry>
  304.    <title>April 1 - Act</title>
  305.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/04/april-1---act.html" />
  306.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3598</id>
  307.  
  308.    <published>2015-04-01T08:21:47Z</published>
  309.    <updated>2015-04-02T08:27:27Z</updated>
  310.  
  311.    <summary>Since the beginning of the year, some smaller steps had been made and things are looking good! First of all the the database schema had been changed to provide some additional things on request of some organisers. Now I realise that I also need to make new versions of the Act-out-of-the-Box vagrant-image once in a while. The DBIx::Class has been updated accordingly and it all works like a charm Secondly, I started playing around with the DBIx::Class implementation and natural...</summary>
  312.    <author>
  313.        <name>Elizabeth Mattijsen</name>
  314.        
  315.    </author>
  316.    
  317.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  318.    
  319.    <category term="act" label="act" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  320.    
  321.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  322.        <![CDATA[<p>Since the beginning of the year, some smaller steps had been made and things are looking good!</p>
  323.  
  324. <p>First of all the the database schema had been changed to provide some additional things on request of some organisers. Now I realise that I also need to make new versions of the Act-out-of-the-Box vagrant-image once in a while. The <span class="caps">DBI</span>x::Class has been updated accordingly and it all works like a charm</p>
  325.  
  326. <p>Secondly, I started playing around with the <span class="caps">DBI</span>x::Class implementation and natural stumbled upon the first hurdle... Conferences are not in the database, those are neatly stored in a bunch of <span class="caps">INI </span>files. Adding another table to the database which will be populated from the <span class="caps">INI</span>-files is giving Act-Voyager at least a top-level entry point for the relation databases, finally there are relations between the rows in the separate tables.</p>
  327.  
  328. <p>Those <span class="caps">INI </span>files provide much more information and only some is really about the conference itself, like dates and location. Other things that are in it are the number of rooms what names they have, the price tiers and tickets or other products. Information that will have to end up in other tables soon. But, this all sounds like the start of the admin-tool, which I had given a lower priority.</p>
  329.  
  330. <p>While playing with the <span class="caps">DBI</span>x::Class schema and being very pleased that I could build simple scripts showing me a list of talks or users related to some conference, I started to write the first bit of the <span class="caps">REST </span>api, as a starting point... and here a whole new story unfolds itself:</p>
  331.  
  332. <p>Do You Speak-a My Language?</p>
  333.  
  334. <p>For entire population groups on planet earth it looks like they do not have to concern about language difference, for them there exists only 1 language, 1 language to rule all... And for those people it is fine to organise a conference or workshop in their local language. And it's perfectly okay to let Act perform in a way as if your local language would be the only one to consider. However, as organiser of the Dutch Perl Workshop, we care about being open to people that do not come from the Netherlands and do not speak Dutch and therefore run our web-site bilingual and provide most of the texts in English as well. I even suggested to one of our people to set it up in German.</p>
  335.  
  336. <p>Act caters for all that, no problem - only a technical design problem here.</p>
  337.  
  338. <p>Retrieving data in multiple languages from a <span class="caps">REST </span>api is not uncommon, and the <span class="caps">IETF </span>even came up with a solution called Content-Negotiation. Basically, 1 single canonical <span class="caps">URI </span>for 1 resource, using the"Accept-Language" header-field to let client and server decide what content will be delivered. There is no need to put a language tag inside the <span class="caps">URL </span>to do so. But it makes you wonder if there is the same way to create update or delete resources in a specific language... so, without causing url-polution.</p>
  339.  
  340. <p>Nope, no answer is to be found!</p>
  341.  
  342. <p>Until lately, when I figured out how to do <span class="caps">HTTP</span>-Authoring in a multilingual <span class="caps">REST </span>api, simply by using the 'Content-Language' header-field in the request. It is possible within the restraints of the <span class="caps">RFC</span>s to update a resource with a representation in another language, or only delete the language variant for a resource instead of entirely whipping it of the database.</p>
  343.  
  344. <p>In Cluj (Romania) and lately at AmsterdamX I gave a demonstration, a proof of concept. The implementation is quite easy and simple. Moreover it does also separate the <span class="caps">REST </span>api objects from the internal data structure. So many <span class="caps">API </span>designers couple their tables directly to <span class="caps">REST </span>resources, which is a big mistake on itself. Such solutions make it impossible to change underlying structures without corrupting the <span class="caps">REST </span>api. Having said that... for Act it is essential to have them separate because once the new version is up and running on top of the current database there will come a migration to a new database.</p>
  345.  
  346. <p>On GitHub you can find the AnimalSanctuary that does show some implentations on the above concept. Separating the <span class="caps">REST </span>objects and methods from the underlying structure, allowing complex class builders - and using the 'Content-Language' header-field to work with multilingual environments.</p>
  347.  
  348. <p>Now that these hurdles have been taken, it becomes time to start implementing the <span class="caps">REST </span>api and create 'Act::REST::Object builders'</p>
  349.  
  350. <p>Act Voyager has been exploring some interesting area's - time to move forward in warp-speed and see you next month, hopefully with most of the <span class="caps">API </span>ready.</p>
  351.  
  352. <p>Captain Theo</p>]]>
  353.        
  354.    </content>
  355. </entry>
  356.  
  357. <entry>
  358.    <title>Extended: Calling for grant proposals </title>
  359.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/extended-calling-for-grant-pro.html" />
  360.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3596</id>
  361.  
  362.    <published>2015-03-16T23:00:00Z</published>
  363.    <updated>2015-03-17T10:52:07Z</updated>
  364.  
  365.    <summary>I had flu with a high fever (104°F == 40°C) for a week. Unfortunately this happened in the final week of the March grant acceptance period. Apologies I couldn&apos;t respond to inquiries in timely fashion. As we haven&apos;t received grant applications in this period, we will extend the deadline to March 22nd. To apply for a grant of up to $10,000, please refer to my previous post to understand how....</summary>
  366.    <author>
  367.        <name>Makoto Nozaki</name>
  368.        <uri>http://blogs.perl.org/users/makoto_nozaki/</uri>
  369.    </author>
  370.    
  371.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  372.    
  373.    
  374.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  375.        <![CDATA[<p>I had flu with a high fever (104°F == 40°C) for a week. Unfortunately this happened in the final week of the March grant acceptance period. Apologies I couldn't respond to inquiries in timely fashion.</p>
  376.  
  377. <p>As we haven't received grant applications in this period, we will extend the deadline to March 22nd.</p>
  378.  
  379. <p>To apply for a grant of up to $10,000, please refer to <a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/call-for-grant-proposals-march.html">my previous post</a> to understand how. </p>
  380. ]]>
  381.        
  382.  
  383.    </content>
  384. </entry>
  385.  
  386. <entry>
  387.    <title>Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for February 2015</title>
  388.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/maintaining-perl-5-grant-repor-15.html" />
  389.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3594</id>
  390.  
  391.    <published>2015-03-15T04:19:31Z</published>
  392.    <updated>2015-03-15T04:30:58Z</updated>
  393.  
  394.    <summary><![CDATA[Tony Cook writes: Approximately 55 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 10 patches were applied. [perl #123784] shows perl's dependency on other system tools, in this case there were two issues when using GCC 5.0. First, with GCC 5.0, by default the pre-processor with generate #line entries showing the origin of the definition of a macro that's been replaced, so the pre-processor was producing output from: &quot;EDOM&quot; [[ EDOM ]] something like: #line &quot;errno.c&quot;, 1 &quot;EDOM&quot; [[ #line &quot;somesystemheader&quot;,...]]></summary>
  395.    <author>
  396.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  397.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  398.    </author>
  399.    
  400.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  401.    
  402.    <category term="perl5coremaintenance" label="perl5 core maintenance" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  403.    
  404.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  405.        <![CDATA[<p><em>Tony Cook writes:</em></p>
  406.  
  407. <p>Approximately 55 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 10 patches were applied.</p>
  408.  
  409. <p>[perl #123784] shows perl's dependency on other system tools, in this case there were two issues when using <span class="caps">GCC</span> 5.0.</p>
  410.  
  411. <p>First, with <span class="caps">GCC</span> 5.0, by default the pre-processor with generate #line entries showing the origin of the definition of a macro that's been replaced, so the pre-processor was producing output from:</p>
  412.  
  413. <pre><code>  &quot;EDOM&quot; [[ EDOM ]]</code></pre>
  414.  
  415. <p>something like:</p>
  416.  
  417. <pre><code>  #line &quot;errno.c&quot;, 1
  418.  &quot;EDOM&quot; [[
  419.  #line &quot;somesystemheader&quot;, 100
  420.            33
  421.  #line &quot;errno.c&quot;, 1
  422.                ]]</code></pre>
  423.  
  424. <p>instead of the expected:</p>
  425.  
  426. <pre><code>  &quot;EDOM&quot; [[ 33 ]]</code></pre>
  427.  
  428. <p>which ext/Errno/ 's parser couldn't handle.</p>
  429.  
  430. <p>The other change was expressing compiler defined macros in hex instead of decimal.</p>]]>
  431.        <![CDATA[<p>Older versions of <span class="caps">GCC </span>define integer constants in decimal:</p>
  432.  
  433. <pre><code>  # 4.7.2
  434.  $ echo __LONG_MAX__| gcc -E -P -
  435.  9223372036854775807L</code></pre>
  436.  
  437. <p>while <span class="caps">GCC</span> 5.0 defines them in hex:</p>
  438.  
  439. <pre><code>  # 5.0
  440.  $ echo __LONG_MAX__| gcc -E -P -
  441.  0x7fffffffffffffffL</code></pre>
  442.  
  443. <p>which the h2ph parser converted to code like:</p>
  444.  
  445. <pre><code>  unless (defined &amp;__LONG_MAX__) { sub __LONG_MAX__() { &amp;0x7fffffffffffffffL } }</code></pre>
  446.  
  447. <p>because the preamble code generator didn't handle hex numbers.  The naive solution is to output:</p>
  448.  
  449. <pre><code>  unless (defined &amp;__LONG_MAX__) { sub __LONG_MAX__() { 0x7fffffffffffffff } }</code></pre>
  450.  
  451. <p>but this produces compile-time warnings when the pre-defined macros include hex constants that don't fit in a <span class="caps">UV. </span> Since the end-developer might not even be using these particular constants I changed them into run-time warnings, so the code generated for large constants becomes:</p>
  452.  
  453. <pre><code>  unless (defined &amp;__LONG_MAX__) { sub __LONG_MAX__() { hex('0x7fffffffffffffff') } }</code></pre>
  454.  
  455. <table><tr><td>Hours</td><td>Activity</td></tr><tr><td>2.08</td><td>#123011 test strange platforms to update patch</td></tr><tr><td>0.85</td><td>#123145 review</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123145 try to understand behaviour</td></tr><tr><td>4.96</td><td>Review 5.22 blockers, #123202</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123202 callgrind, review code and sprout's patch, produce</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>and test a patch, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123202 add a test to the patch</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123202 review, testing</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123202 apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.58</td><td>#123218 re-test, apply to blead and comment</td></tr><tr><td>4.60</td><td>#123554 <span class="caps">IRIX</span> 64 test issue - review mail from jhi, review code and reply</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123554 <span class="caps">IRIX </span>issue- review config.sh, debugging, produce a patch, mail jhi</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123554 more follow-up, minor patch fix, push to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.73</td><td>#123558 fail to reproduce in blead, reproduce on reporrted</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>commit, start bisect</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>#123580 review discussion, testing, close ticket</td></tr><tr><td>0.67</td><td>#123620 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>7.24</td><td>#123638 (security)</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 (security) updates, testing</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 (security) testing</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 (security)</td></tr><tr><td>0.48</td><td>#123647 (security) review, testing, comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.15</td><td>#123685 review discussion</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>#123704 test and push to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.07</td><td>#123714 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.13</td><td>#123717 try to reproduce</td></tr><tr><td>1.80</td><td>#123721 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.47</td><td>#123738 review, testing</td></tr><tr><td>1.37</td><td>#123739 review Tux's test code</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123739 debug [Tux]'s eol.t, comment and close</td></tr><tr><td>0.22</td><td>#123743 review</td></tr><tr><td>0.23</td><td>#123751 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.75</td><td>#123752 comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123752 research and comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.17</td><td>#123754 (security) review, debugging</td></tr><tr><td>0.43</td><td>#123775 review discussion and comment</td></tr><tr><td>7.18</td><td>#123784 review, start gcc svn up</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 start gcc 5.0 build</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 install gcc and test, debug and produce a patch, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 review discussion and patch</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 test Errno_pm.PL patch, try to resolve h2ph issue</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 testing, comment with patch</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 review discussion, adjust patch and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 retest and apply to blead, perldelta, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123784 review and test ppisar's patch, and apply to</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>blead.  Also review Gisles unticketed hp-ux hints patch and comment</td></tr><tr><td>2.72</td><td>#123786 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123786 review discussion, testing, produce a fix, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>with patch, create 123921</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123786 start bisect for blead leaks</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123786 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.77</td><td>#123790 reproduce, try to debug</td></tr><tr><td>0.27</td><td>#123791 (security) comment with rejection</td></tr><tr><td>0.17</td><td>#123792 (security) comment with rejection</td></tr><tr><td>0.17</td><td>#123795 review and fix subject</td></tr><tr><td>1.60</td><td>#123831 review, download icc network installer and start install</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123831 testing with icc 15, comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.84</td><td>#123836 review, research and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123836 make a patch</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123836 retest and apply to blead, comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.88</td><td>#123837 review patch, test and apply to blead, review</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>makefile.mk deps</td></tr><tr><td>0.65</td><td>#123844 review, test and apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.92</td><td>#123851 review discussion and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123851 close ticket per OP request</td></tr><tr><td>0.65</td><td>#123853 testing, research and comment</td></tr><tr><td>3.03</td><td>#123860 (security) debug, produce a patch and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123860 write a test, update old patch and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.90</td><td>#123865 reproduce, try to debug</td></tr><tr><td>0.32</td><td>#123866 apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>9.20</td><td>#123879 review, review commits, prep for testing/debugging</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123879 fail to reproduce at various commits/build options</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123879 reproduce and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123879 debugging</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123879 prep</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123879 debugging and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.53</td><td>#123904 review and try to work out a solution</td></tr><tr><td>0.10</td><td>#123905 comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.27</td><td>#123907 research and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.13</td><td>#123918 review dicsussion</td></tr><tr><td>0.37</td><td>#123922 finish bisect, further tests and report issue</td></tr><tr><td>0.93</td><td>#123945 encoding.pm meta ticket setup</td></tr><tr><td>0.37</td><td>#36248 review discussion, research</td></tr><tr><td>3.02</td><td>debugging path search for no-fallback popenlist</td></tr><tr><td>0.62</td><td>khw's op/pack.t failures</td></tr><tr><td>2.50</td><td>look at khw's pack.t issues</td></tr><tr><td>0.28</td><td>more <span class="caps">IPC</span>-Cmd debugging</td></tr><tr><td>0.38</td><td>open ticket on icc 15 build issues</td></tr><tr><td>2.12</td><td>remove shell fallback from multi-arg win32 popen,</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>debugging</td></tr><tr><td>0.88</td><td>review bulk88's ppport email, check for a dep issue in</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Makefile.SH, reply</td></tr><tr><td>0.18</td><td>review OP_SIGNATURE discussion</td></tr><tr><td>0.62</td><td>review signature branch</td></tr><tr><td>0.78</td><td>try to reproduce Win32 <span class="caps">IPC</span>-Cmd failures</td></tr></table>
  456.  
  457. <p><b>76.13 hours total</b></p>]]>
  458.    </content>
  459. </entry>
  460.  
  461. <entry>
  462.    <title>Taking Part in Outreachy</title>
  463.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/taking-part-in-outreachy.html" />
  464.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3592</id>
  465.  
  466.    <published>2015-03-09T12:04:49Z</published>
  467.    <updated>2015-03-09T12:09:23Z</updated>
  468.  
  469.    <summary>I am pleased to announced that The Perl Foundation will be taking part in Outreachy, the successor of the Outreach Program for Women. The Outreach Program for Women was started by the GNOME Foundation in 2006 to encourage women to participate in the GNOME project. Since inception the project has grown to include many Free and Open Source organisations, including The Perl Foundation, and now the program has been rebranded and extended to encourage the participation of all underrepresented groups....</summary>
  470.    <author>
  471.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  472.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  473.    </author>
  474.    
  475.        <category term="OPW" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  476.    
  477.    <category term="internship" label="internship" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  478.    <category term="outreachy" label="outreachy" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  479.    
  480.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  481.        <![CDATA[<p>I am pleased to announced that The Perl Foundation will be taking part in <a href="https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/">Outreachy</a>, the successor of the Outreach Program for Women.  </p>
  482.  
  483. <p>The Outreach Program for Women was started by the <span class="caps">GNOME</span> Foundation in 2006 to encourage women to participate in the <span class="caps">GNOME </span>project.  Since inception the project has grown to include many Free and Open Source organisations, including The Perl Foundation,  and now the program has been rebranded and extended to encourage the participation of all underrepresented groups.</p>
  484.  
  485. <p>We are offering one full-time internship in the summer program which will run from May 25th to August 25th.  The application process is <a href="https://outreachy.gnome.org/?q=program_home&amp;prg=4">now open</a> and applications need to be submitted by March 24th.</p>
  486.  
  487. <p>We have mentors from Dancer signed up to provide projects ideas and you can read about the possible projects on our <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/outreachy">information page</a>.</p>]]>
  488.        
  489.    </content>
  490. </entry>
  491.  
  492. <entry>
  493.    <title>Grant Extension Request: Maintaining Perl 5</title>
  494.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/grant-extension-request-mainta-1.html" />
  495.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3590</id>
  496.  
  497.    <published>2015-03-05T11:51:32Z</published>
  498.    <updated>2015-03-05T11:58:42Z</updated>
  499.  
  500.    <summary>Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5 grant. This grant has been running successfully since July 2013. The requested extension would allow Tony to devote another 400 hours to the project. The funds for this extension would come from the Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. As well as posting reports on the p5p mailing list Tony provides detailed monthly reports, the most recent of which can be found in the following blog posts: January...</summary>
  501.    <author>
  502.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  503.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  504.    </author>
  505.    
  506.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  507.    
  508.    <category term="perl5coremaintenance" label="perl5 core maintenance" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  509.    
  510.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  511.        <![CDATA[<p>Tony Cook has requested an extension of $20,000 for his <a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2013/05/grant-application-maintaining.html">Maintaining Perl 5</a> grant. This grant has been running successfully since July 2013. The requested extension would allow Tony to devote another 400 hours to the project. The funds for this extension would come from the <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_5_core_maintenance_fund">Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund</a>.</p>
  512.  
  513. <p>As well as posting reports on the p5p mailing list Tony provides detailed monthly reports, the most recent of which can be found in the following blog posts:</p>
  514.  
  515. <p><a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/maintaining-perl-5-grant-repor-14.html">January 2015</a><br />
  516. <a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/02/maintaing-perl-5-grant-report-1.html">December 2014</a><br />
  517. <a href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/01/maintaing-perl-5-grant-report.html">November 2014</a></p>
  518.  
  519. <p>Before we make a decision on this extension we would like to have a period of community consultation that will last for seven days. Please leave feedback in the comments or, if you prefer, email your comments to karen at perlfoundation.org.</p>]]>
  520.        
  521.    </content>
  522. </entry>
  523.  
  524. <entry>
  525.    <title>Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for January 2015</title>
  526.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/maintaining-perl-5-grant-repor-14.html" />
  527.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3588</id>
  528.  
  529.    <published>2015-03-04T09:40:40Z</published>
  530.    <updated>2015-03-04T09:53:03Z</updated>
  531.  
  532.    <summary>Tony Cook writes: Approximately 61 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 11 patches were applied. There were no especially interesting tickets this month. HoursActivity1.60cpan #101078 create/test bisect script and start bisectcpan #101078 review bisect results, comment0.27#120357 (security) research and comment0.52#122432 review status#122432 summarize status of cpan dists2.25#122443 testing, polish1.48#122730 bang head against dzil, try some simple fixes,create github issue0.20#123065 apply to blead...</summary>
  533.    <author>
  534.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  535.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  536.    </author>
  537.    
  538.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  539.    
  540.    <category term="perl5coremaintenance" label="perl5 core maintenance" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  541.    
  542.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  543.        <![CDATA[<p><em>Tony Cook writes:</em></p>
  544.  
  545. <p>Approximately 61 tickets were reviewed or worked on, and 11 patches were applied.</p>
  546.  
  547. <p>There were no especially interesting tickets this month.</p>
  548.  
  549. <table><tr><td>Hours</td><td>Activity</td></tr><tr><td>1.60</td><td>cpan #101078 create/test bisect script and start bisect</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>cpan #101078 review bisect results, comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.27</td><td>#120357 (security) research and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.52</td><td>#122432 review status</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#122432 summarize status of cpan dists</td></tr><tr><td>2.25</td><td>#122443 testing, polish</td></tr><tr><td>1.48</td><td>#122730 bang head against dzil, try some simple fixes,</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>create github issue</td></tr><tr><td>0.20</td><td>#123065 apply to blead</td></tr></table>]]>
  550.        <![CDATA[<table><tr><td>0.83</td><td>#123218 produce a patch</td></tr><tr><td>0.15</td><td>#123315 comment</td></tr><tr><td>2.13</td><td>#123341 testing, review code and comment</td></tr><tr><td>2.78</td><td>#123394 review, cleanup, testing, push to blead</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123394 review discussion and comment</td></tr><tr><td>2.52</td><td>#123413 review latest patch, look into sdbm history,</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123413 review, testing, fixes, push to blead, comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.23</td><td>#123437 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.58</td><td>#123443 look for similar write() bug and work on fix</td></tr><tr><td>0.18</td><td>#123512 review and comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.17</td><td>#123528 review patch, discussion of win32 GetVersionEx()</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>behaviour</td></tr><tr><td>1.03</td><td>#123532 testing, review code, comment</td></tr><tr><td>3.03</td><td>#123538 diagnose, produce a patch, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123538 test, apply to blead, check 123622 and lots of</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>win32 test failure code in between</td></tr><tr><td>3.34</td><td>#123542 reproduce, debugging, try to reduce test case</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123542 reduce test case size, try to understand the parser</td></tr><tr><td>0.67</td><td>#123549 review, research, testing, comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.60</td><td>#123551 try to work out afl-gcc/blead build issues</td></tr><tr><td>4.00</td><td>#123554 diagnose, debugging and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123554 produce a better patch, checking code, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123554 review, re-test and apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.57</td><td>#123555 review, research and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123555 review discussion and mark as rejected</td></tr><tr><td>0.33</td><td>#123562 try to understand code</td></tr><tr><td>1.52</td><td>#123566 review, testing, apply to blead and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.45</td><td>#123575 review, testing</td></tr><tr><td>0.50</td><td>#123580 review discussion</td></tr><tr><td>0.22</td><td>#123585 review ticket and code</td></tr><tr><td>0.97</td><td>#123591, 123538, test, add tests to 123538 patch</td></tr><tr><td>1.84</td><td>#123599 research and comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123599 follow-up comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.45</td><td>#123600 review smoke results, re-test and push to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.25</td><td>#123605 review, test and apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.83</td><td>#123606 review, test, apply to blead and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.53</td><td>#123620 review and briefly comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123620 review</td></tr><tr><td>1.13</td><td>#123632 review, check history/usage of Opcode, comment</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123632 test and apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.52</td><td>#123634 review, test and apply to blead</td></tr><tr><td>0.20</td><td>#123635 review discussion and patch and reject</td></tr><tr><td>6.96</td><td>#123638 (security) review, discussion, attempt to fix</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 debugging</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 code review</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123638 testing</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>#123658 review discussion and patch, comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.79</td><td>#123672 review, find problem not in v5.14, start bisect</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>#123672 fix bisect</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>#123675 review discussion, research, comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.05</td><td>#123677 try to debug</td></tr><tr><td>0.35</td><td>#123682 review and briefly comment</td></tr><tr><td>1.30</td><td>#123683 try to visually track down commit, leont beats me</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>to commenting, start bisect</td></tr><tr><td>0.35</td><td>#123689 comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>#123693 review patch and comment</td></tr><tr><td>0.47</td><td>#36248 try to understand cause and boggle at encoding.pm</td></tr><tr><td>0.97</td><td>64-bit gcc/win32 build issue</td></tr><tr><td>3.18</td><td>check out recent gcc Win32 build issues</td></tr><tr><td>1.30</td><td>cygwin op/repeat.t issue</td></tr><tr><td>1.28</td><td>fix <span class="caps">SDBM</span>_File build on gcc/win32</td></tr><tr><td>1.35</td><td>look into Win32 test failures, reproduce, start bisect</td></tr><tr><td>0.83</td><td>More 5.20.2</td></tr><tr><td>0.95</td><td>more gcc Win32</td></tr><tr><td>0.52</td><td>Plack-App-PHPCGI setup</td></tr><tr><td>2.68</td><td>Review 5.20.2 votes list</td></tr><tr><td>0.55</td><td>review and comment on character/bin data thread</td></tr><tr><td>1.40</td><td>review bisect result and fix bisect code</td></tr><tr><td>0.40</td><td>review maint-5.20 votes</td></tr><tr><td>0.45</td><td>win32 sdbm issues</td></tr><tr><td>0.32</td><td>win32 test failure</td></tr><tr><td>2.83</td><td>win32 unthreaded sdbm_file build issues, discussion,</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>diagnosis, fix, testing</td></tr></table>
  551.  
  552. <p><b>73.35 Hours Total</b></p>]]>
  553.    </content>
  554. </entry>
  555.  
  556. <entry>
  557.    <title>Call For Grant Proposals (March 2015 Round)</title>
  558.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/03/call-for-grant-proposals-march.html" />
  559.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3586</id>
  560.  
  561.    <published>2015-03-02T23:00:00Z</published>
  562.    <updated>2015-03-03T04:41:36Z</updated>
  563.  
  564.    <summary>The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time. We evaluate them every two months and another evaluation period has come. If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, consider sending a grant application. The application deadline for this round is 23:59 March 15th UTC. We will publish the received applications, get community feedback and conclude the acceptance by March 30th. To apply, please read How to Write a Proposal. Rules...</summary>
  565.    <author>
  566.        <name>Makoto Nozaki</name>
  567.        <uri>http://blogs.perl.org/users/makoto_nozaki/</uri>
  568.    </author>
  569.    
  570.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  571.    
  572.    
  573.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  574.        <![CDATA[<p>The Grants Committee is accepting grant proposals all the time.  We evaluate them every two months and another evaluation period has come.</p>
  575.  
  576. <p>If you have an idea for doing some Perl work that will benefit the Perl community, consider sending a grant application. <strong>The application deadline for this round is 23:59 March 15th UTC.</strong> We will publish the received applications, get community feedback and conclude the acceptance by March 30th.</p>
  577.  
  578. <p>To apply, please read <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/how_to_write_a_proposal">How to Write a Proposal</a>.  <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/rules_of_operation">Rules of Operation</a>
  579. will also help you understand how the grant process works. For those who are familiar with the process, the format will be the same as the previous rounds in 2014-2015.</p>
  580.  
  581. <p>We will confirm the receipt of application within 24 hours.</p>
  582.  
  583. <p>If you have further questions, please comment here.  If your comment
  584. does not show up here within 24 hours, the chances are that the spam
  585. filter did something bad. Get in touch with me at tpf-grants-secretary
  586. at perl-foundation.org.</p>
  587. ]]>
  588.        
  589.  
  590.    </content>
  591. </entry>
  592.  
  593. <entry>
  594.    <title>YAPC::NA::2015 Hackathons Announced</title>
  595.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/02/yapcna2015-hackathons-announce.html" />
  596.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3584</id>
  597.  
  598.    <published>2015-02-26T13:51:34Z</published>
  599.    <updated>2015-02-26T14:26:49Z</updated>
  600.  
  601.    <summary>The Perl Foundation is excited to announce three hackathons that will be running sequentially with YAPC::NA 2015 in Salt Lake City this June. These events include a Perl 6 hackathon with Perl creator Larry Wall to be held on June 11th.
  602. </summary>
  603.    <author>
  604.        <name>TPF Conferences Staff</name>
  605.        
  606.    </author>
  607.    
  608.        <category term="Conferences" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  609.    
  610.        <category term="Hackathons" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  611.    
  612.        <category term="Marketing" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  613.    
  614.        <category term="Perl 6 Development" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  615.    
  616.    
  617.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  618.        <![CDATA[<p>The Perl Foundation is excited to announce three hackathons that will be running sequentially with <span class="caps">YAPC</span>::NA 2015 in Salt Lake City this June. These events include a Perl 6 hackathon with Perl creator Larry Wall to be held on June 11th. </p>
  619.  
  620. <p>The cost to attend these three hackathons is included in all <span class="caps">YAPC</span>::NA 2015 passes, but we do encourage you to <span class="caps">RSVP </span>online so we know how many to expect. Putting on these events is not cheap! Along with being able to attend each hackathon, we will also be providing rooms, wi-fi, and snacks throughout the day. So we would appreciate your help! To help cover these costs, we have a suggested donation of $50 per day, which you can make during your online registration. </p>
  621.  
  622. <p>Each hackathon listed will run from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm. We will provide snacks and drinks, but you will be on your own for lunch.</p>
  623.  
  624. <p>This year's hackathons will be:</p>
  625.  
  626. <h3>Sunday, June 7th 2015:  Pull request hackathon</h3>
  627.  
  628. <p>Come join your fellow Perl developers for a day of bug squashing and developing as you participate in the 2015 <span class="caps">CPAN</span> Pull Request Challenge. Or, bring your own pet project and just enjoy a day of hacking amongst your like-minded peers.</p>
  629.  
  630. <h3>Thursday, June 11th 2015:  Perl 6 hackathon with Larry Wall</h3>
  631.  
  632. <p>Come spend an entire day working on the next generation of Perl. There's no better way to learn it than to do it! Perl creator, Larry Wall will be on hand throughout the day.</p>
  633.  
  634. <h3>Friday, June 12th 2015: Hardware hackathon</h3>
  635.  
  636. <p>Get up to your armpits in Arduino!  Bring your own toys or come check out some of ours. It's time to get creative and see what you can make.</p>
  637.  
  638. <p>We look forward to seeing you! Please take a moment to register on the <span class="caps">YAPC </span>site: <a href="http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/purchase">http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/purchase</a>   </p>]]>
  639.        
  640.    </content>
  641. </entry>
  642.  
  643. <entry>
  644.    <title>Ricardo Signes Grant Application Successful </title>
  645.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/02/ricardo-signes-grant-applicati.html" />
  646.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3582</id>
  647.  
  648.    <published>2015-02-26T08:33:06Z</published>
  649.    <updated>2015-02-26T09:06:45Z</updated>
  650.  
  651.    <summary>I am pleased to announce that Ricardo Signes&apos; recent grant application to cover the costs of his travel to the QA Hackathon has been successful. I would like to thank everyone who provided feedback on this grant. The grant was awarded from our Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund. If you wish to contribute to this fund please go to our donation system or contact karen [a] perlfoundation.org The QA Hackathon is a free of charge coding workshop for people involved...</summary>
  652.    <author>
  653.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  654.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  655.    </author>
  656.    
  657.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  658.    
  659.    <category term="perl5coremaintenance" label="perl5 core maintenance" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  660.    
  661.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  662.        <![CDATA[<p>I am pleased to announce that Ricardo Signes' recent grant application to cover the costs of his travel to the <a href="http://act.qa-hackathon.org/qa2015/">QA Hackathon</a> has been successful. I would like to thank everyone who provided feedback on this grant.</p>
  663.  
  664. <p>The grant was awarded from our <a href="http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl_5_core_maintenance_fund">Perl 5 Core Maintenance Fund</a>. If you wish to contribute to this fund please go to our donation system or contact karen [a] perlfoundation.org</p>
  665.  
  666. <p>The <a href="http://act.qa-hackathon.org/qa2015/">QA Hackathon</a> is a free of charge coding workshop for people involved in Quality Assurance, testing, packaging, <span class="caps">CPAN, </span>and other quality assurance projects. It is taking place in Berlin, Germany, from the 16th to the 19th April.</p>]]>
  667.        
  668.    </content>
  669. </entry>
  670.  
  671. <entry>
  672.    <title>Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report, Month 16</title>
  673.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/02/maintaining-the-perl-5-core-re-14.html" />
  674.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3580</id>
  675.  
  676.    <published>2015-02-17T05:24:21Z</published>
  677.    <updated>2015-02-17T05:29:26Z</updated>
  678.  
  679.    <summary>Dave Mitchell writes: At the start of the month I continued work on making the stderr of builds less noisy, and for blead to build, test, and be stderr-clean under ASan -fsanitize=undefined. At the end of this work I raised around 26 RT and github tickets with fixes for cpan/ distributions; currently around 9 of these have been merged back into blead and a further 4 have been merged upstream but not yet released. For the rest of the month...</summary>
  680.    <author>
  681.        <name>Karen Pauley</name>
  682.        <uri>http://martian.org/karen</uri>
  683.    </author>
  684.    
  685.        <category term="Grants" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  686.    
  687.    <category term="perl5coremaintenance" label="perl5 core maintenance" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#tag" />
  688.    
  689.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  690.        <![CDATA[<p><em>Dave Mitchell writes:</em></p>
  691.  
  692. <p>At the start of the month I continued work on making the stderr of builds less noisy, and for blead to build, test, and be stderr-clean under ASan -fsanitize=undefined.</p>
  693.  
  694. <p>At the end of this work I raised around 26 RT and github tickets with fixes for cpan/ distributions; currently around 9 of these have been merged back into blead and a further 4 have been merged upstream but not yet released.</p>
  695.  
  696. <p>For the rest of the month I spent a bit of time on a few RT tickets and tried to keep with my p5p mailbox.</p>
  697.  
  698. <p><b>Summary</b></p>
  699.  
  700. <blockquote><p>2:52 [Win32] Unable to build 64-bit 5.21.7<br />
  701. 1:50 [perl #123469] Bug in split function, with utf8 strings<br />
  702. 3:30 [perl #123609] Unexpected warning compiling array subscript<br />
  703. 2:00 [perl #123685] Question regarding the '#!' argument passing.<br />
  704. 13:30 process p5p mailbox<br />
  705. 6:08 reduce amount of stderr stuff in build/test<br />
  706. ------<br />
  707. <b>29:50 Total (HH::MM)</b></p></blockquote>
  708.  
  709. <p>As of 2015/01/31: since the beginning of the grant:</p>
  710.  
  711. <blockquote><p>68.0 weeks<br />
  712. 913.1 total hours<br />
  713. 13.4 average hours per week</p></blockquote>
  714.  
  715. <p>There are 287 hours left on the grant</p>]]>
  716.        
  717.    </content>
  718. </entry>
  719.  
  720. <entry>
  721.    <title>Call for Master Classes</title>
  722.    <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://news.perlfoundation.org/2015/02/call-for-master-classes.html" />
  723.    <id>tag:news.perlfoundation.org,2015://18.3578</id>
  724.  
  725.    <published>2015-02-09T11:25:45Z</published>
  726.    <updated>2015-02-13T02:02:25Z</updated>
  727.  
  728.    <summary>Are you an experienced Perl instructor who would like to offer a
  729. course at YAPC:NA this year in Salt Lake City?  We want to offer the
  730. Perl community a selection of courses and tutorials before and after
  731. the conference.</summary>
  732.    <author>
  733.        <name>TPF Conferences Staff</name>
  734.        
  735.    </author>
  736.    
  737.        <category term="Conferences" scheme="http://www.sixapart.com/ns/types#category" />
  738.    
  739.    
  740.    <content type="html" xml:lang="en" xml:base="http://news.perlfoundation.org/">
  741.        <![CDATA[<p>Are you an experienced Perl instructor who would like to offer a<br />
  742. course at <span class="caps">YAPC</span>:NA this year in Salt Lake City?  We want to offer the<br />
  743. Perl community a selection of courses and tutorials before and after<br />
  744. the conference.</p>
  745.  
  746. <p>Master Classes can be a half day (3 hours), full day (6 hours) or 2<br />
  747. days in length and will run on Sunday 7th, Thursday 11th, and Friday<br />
  748. 12th of June.</p>
  749.  
  750. <p>To submit your proposal please send the following information to<br />
  751. <a href="mailto:%74%61%6C%6B%73%40%79%61%70%63%6E%61%2E%6F%72%67">talks@yapcna.org</a></p>
  752.  
  753.  
  754.  
  755. <ul>
  756. <li>Class Title</li>
  757. <li>Names of Speakers</li>
  758. <li>Speaker Biography</li>
  759. <li>Abstract</li>
  760. <li>Class Description, including<br />
  761.          the course's length<br />
  762.          the intended audience<br />
  763.          any prerequisites or expected level of knowledge<br />
  764.          any supplies you will be providing to students<br />
  765.          any supplies you expect students to bring<br />
  766.          a short course outline<br />
  767.          maximum class size</li>
  768. <li>The dates on which you would be willing to give your course (June 7th, 11th, 12th)</li>
  769. <li>A list of requirements for the venue (A/V, Internet, etc.)</li>
  770. <li>Cost of the Class</li>
  771. </ul>
  772.  
  773.  
  774.  
  775. <p>Please bear in mind that it is our goal to keep the cost of these<br />
  776. classes down for students as this is a low cost conference.</p>]]>
  777.        
  778.    </content>
  779. </entry>
  780.  
  781. </feed>
  782.  

If you would like to create a banner that links to this page (i.e. this validation result), do the following:

  1. Download the "valid Atom 1.0" banner.

  2. Upload the image to your own server. (This step is important. Please do not link directly to the image on this server.)

  3. Add this HTML to your page (change the image src attribute if necessary):

If you would like to create a text link instead, here is the URL you can use:

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A//news.perlfoundation.org/atom.xml

Copyright © 2002-9 Sam Ruby, Mark Pilgrim, Joseph Walton, and Phil Ringnalda